Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Sick Boys" / Social Distortion / Social Distortion

I'm guessing most everyone who may be reading this is familiar with Social Distortion. For a while there among a certain group of friends, they were, indeed, the greatest, coolest band in the world. I was never too crazy about them, but I've come to enjoy them more over the years. There's something to be appreciated about good, honest, no frills roots rock & roll.

Here's a good Social D story for you: In 1992, when they were on the "Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell" tour (their best album, in my novice opinion), a few of us went to see them at the Georgia Theatre. Did you know that not only tattooed rockabilly fans follow this band, but also large, violent, frightening skinheads? I didn't.

Anyway, there was a pit (the good kind, the kind that actually went in a circle and had guys standing in the center) and my buddy Trey started pushing and shoving with a HUGE skinhead. Seeing trouble ahead, I grabbed Trey from behind to stop him from fighting. Trouble was, I also pinned his arms against his sides. The skinhead measured his reach, set his feet and popped Trey with two quick punches which, thanks to me, he took fully undefended.

Cut to Trey leaning over the sink in the bathroom of the Theatre, me beside him apologizing profusely while he spits blood into the sink yelling, "THANKS A FUCKING LOT!".

Things smoothed over with more beer and a trip to The Grill, where we saw Mike Ness who was paying for his food at the same time we were. I told him, "Nice show", cause I'm cool like that, and he gave me the old head nod. He sure looks rad with all his tattoos and Dickies and his Les Paul, but he's really short. That was disappointing.

Oh, the song, you say? I believe "Sick Boys" is an overall nickname for the rockabilly dudes and their ilk. The Sick Boys apparently carry knives, get in fights, ride big motorbikes, have tattoos (really?), do their hair just right, drink with...other Sick Boys, and "Oh-way-Ohhh". Shit, what do you want from me? It's a Social Distortion song. We're not talking about virtuosity or complexity here. In fact, the chord progression you get in the first four seconds is literally what you get the whole...damn...song. No real chorus, no bridge, just 1-4-5. It is what it is, and sometimes that's just fine.

9 comments:

big d said...

Actually, not to bad. I still have trouble sometimes believing we grew up in the same household. As I've grown older my appreciation for all types of music has expanded. Back in the day, I wouldn't have given this a second listen, but the song is now stuck in my head. As for the "Trey" incident, all I can say is you must have never learned the 3 rules about bouncing from Patrick Swazey in the greatest movie of all times - Roadhouse
1. Never underestimate your opponet
2. Take it outside
3. Be nice

B. Mo said...

The problem, of course, is that I've never seen Roadhouse.

Or Diehard.

THE MERKIN MAN said...

There is one fuck scene in Roadhouse that makes the rest worth it.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, I've been reading this blog for weeks now, and all this time I thought B Mo was a guy! So weird.

Ralph Dilliard said...

Ah, I finally feel comfortable enough with the selection to actually discuss the musical and cultural merits of this song/band. I first saw SD on an installment of the USA Network's "Night Flight". The were showing the documentary film "Another State of Mind" which chronicled the band's first tour outside of California on a converted school bus. Lead singer Mike Ness goes through a seemingly endless array of hair colors on this short lived tour from when the band still had a more punk edge. This was all before Ness did a stint in the California penal system. If you can find it check out the "Mommy's Little Monster" album or the "1945" EP. Anyway I first caught them live at the GA. Theater during their tour supporting their self titled 2nd album. Great show as Gang Green was the opening band. I too had an incident as a ginormous skin nearly broke my foot while pogo-ing in the pit. I really enjoyed them live and have done so many times including a few odd venues. One that comes to mind was a gym at GA. State University. I think SD might be the only band that I've successfully been able to push onto other people. Catchy enough for the masses with enough credible angst to appeal to fans of grittier subject matter. Good stuff.

Ralph Dilliard said...

And Big D.....you forgot Swayze rule #4.....NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

B. Mo said...

Well done, d-rail. Excellent post.

And not even a hint of smarm.

THE MERKIN MAN said...

damn. did you type all that?

THE MERKIN MAN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.