Sunday, July 13, 2008

"Hyper Enough" / Superchunk / Here's Where The Strings Come In

It's Superchunk, kids! Another pantheon band of mine, with 62 songs on my itunes playlist. If there's ever one band that I looove that I wish you all would jump on immediately, it would be the Chunk. They are the indie rock band nonpareil, in my humble opinion. Plus, they are good southern kids from Chapel Hill which is a plus. (And they have a hot bass player, but that's really neither here nor there). They had a semi-hit in the early 90's with "Slack Motherfucker" which (supposedly) is one of those defining Generation X songs. Or something. (Actually, watch that video for a taste of how amazing these guys are live)

I specifically remember how I got into these dudes too. I was at the old Big Shot records when it was back on College Square in the mid 90's (where Chapel Bar is now) and was browsing around. They were playing Superchunk's "Foolish" CD, which had just been released. I was listening with interest as I looked around, then became really intrigued as more songs came on. It's not often that a song or band strikes you upon your very first listen, but they did it for me. Once the song "Driveway to Driveway" played, that was it, and I had to ask the clerk the group and album playing, and bought it on the spot.

"Driveway to Driveway" = teh shit


(You know what? I've never seen this video. I started to watch it, but then quit because it's obviously a "story" video, and I don't want the song to be ruined for me.)

"Foolish" didn't leave my CD player for weeks and weeks. It's still my favorite CD of theirs, in fact one of my all-time favorites, and I highly, highly recommend it to any and all of you's.

Buuy /steal this


So, "Hyper Enough" is the leadoff song on the CD following "Foolish". It boils down what I love about the band into three minutes and change : great riffs, energy, melody and fun. I love that 12 second hammering intro that leads right into that ecstatic riff. The guy's voice may grate on some of you, as it's pretty high and nasal. It shouldn't work, but somehow it does. Random fact : this song leads of a mix CD that I made for Isaiah, as it's one of his favorites to "rock out" to, and just the title of the song fits that boy pretty well *end parent gushing*

They throw in a little bridge there at 1:55 for about 30 seconds, but it feels more obligatory than anything else. Then they come right back with that riff and steamroll through the remainder of the song. In fact, my favorite point is at 2:44 (3:00 in the video) when they just say "Fuck it" and rock the fucking fuck out of the song until the end. This song, as you can imagine, is kicks ass live, and is a great show opener too.

I must say, as with "Driveway to Driveway", I never saw the video for this until today. It's hilarious, though. Starting with the drummer getting pissy, it takes the band through therapy. Look for Laura to get the best scenes at 2:12 (the trust fall) and at 2:27. (And curiously, they unknowingly paved the way for Metallica's (unintentionally) hilarious therapy sessions years later)



Get the song:
http://www.mediafire.com/?lrcnux1czdm

Completely random addendum: Watch the hilarious "conceptual" video for "Watery Hands" starring Jeanine Garafalo and David Cross

2 comments:

Ralph Dilliard said...

It will always be Ruthless Records to me. And this has nothing to do with anything but if you haven't seen "The Two Coreys" on A&E, I implore you to do so. Sundays at 10. It's a steaming pile of greatness.

THE MERKIN MAN said...

My first reaction to "Driveway to Driveway" and "Hyper Enough" was not positive, but I slept on it. When I woke in the morning, thinking of the old Big Shot Records (where everything costs $1000), I arranged my CDs autobiographically. I looked at the College Square Big Shot section: Ten, Nevermind, Faith-No-More, Automatic for the People, Bad Motorfinger, Independent Worm Saloon, A Pocket Full of Kryptonite . . .

Then I thought, how does anyone who owns the first two Spin Doctors albums hate on anything like this? (BTW "Hungry Hamed's" is the choice track on their second disc). So I listened to all three offerings again, and here is what I came up with.

Things I do not like:

1) Dude's voice -- invokes Blink 182.

2) I wish I could put this quality into words, but the poppy sound here turns me way off (See Ben Folds)

Things I Like
1) Dude dances like me -- see "Slack Motherfucker"

2) Songs with 'motherfucker' in the title, lyrics, or subliminal messages

3) Hot bassist -- ala Smashing Pumpkins of old, Kim Deal (sometimes), Kim Gordon, does Susanna Hoff play bass?

4) Loud, Fast Rockin' -- this cancels out the sing-songiness to a degree.

The Verdict
I am going to go steal the album you recommend.

Now I will go peruse the west end of Clayton Street Big Shot section (I really cannot think of anything in this section since they were there for a relatively short period of time). . . Probably: Vs., In Utero, Dirt, Monster, Morressey, The Smiths, Neil Young, etc.

The Grateful Dead period starts with the east end of Clayton Big Shot . . .