Sunday, August 17, 2008

"Thank U" / Alanis Morrissette / Supposed Former Infactuation Junkie

Sigh

**hangs head, embarrassed**

Yes, this is technically my wife's CD, but I can't tell a lie; it's one I like too. Don't lie and say you weren't a little (a) intrigued or (b) turned on by her when you first heard about going down on the Full House dude during a movie ("You Oughta Know", of course).

Imagine his "O" face

Poor Alanis has fallen on hard times now from her 1990's heyday, but you have to like this song just a little bit, don't you? If nothing else, give her a little credit for making a pretty heavy stylistic shift from the music that made her a megastar on her former CD.

Plus, give the girl props for the great shot at Fergie when she covered "My Humps" last year. Funny stuff.


The keyboard chimes in the intro and chorus of this song, strangely enough, always reminded me of the Who's "Won't get Fooled Again" (that part right before Daltry's big scream), only much slower and not quite as awesome.

The real secret weapon to this song, though, is the bass. Just listen to a little bit of the song and focus on that - "WHOOM - pish/ WHOOMpish" bit in there. When you add those two parts together along with a nice melodic chorus (and again, the keyboards), you are starting to get something pretty good. Overall, I think it's her best song.

One thing I've noticed about Alanis, though (and I've heard most all of her CDs, as the wife has them all) that bothers me is her lyrics (1) They make no freggin' sense (2) they are way, WAY too wordy, she crams so many syllables in all over the place , and (3) her verses never rhyme! I can't listen to her music without this bothering me ever since I noticed it.

I mean, "Thank you India, thank you terror, thank you disillusionment / Thank you frailty, thank you consequence, thank you thank you silence"? What? What are you talking about? Just stop. Just stop, get nekkid, and um...walk around town. Wait, what?

2 comments:

Mike said...

You wouldn't think an English teacher would be so quick to declare that lyrics don't make sense. I'm sure you just haven't experienced whatever inconsiderate, mean and otherwise hateful thing some man has done to her.
Dawgs #1 in the AP. Thank God I don't live in Athens anymore. I am sure I would find it intolerable.

Anonymous said...

She was Moose, right? Better not say 'I don't know'.
I liked her first song until I found out it was about that Full House guy. After that it was hard to take her angst seriously.