Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"Human Beat Box" / Fat Boys / Fat Boys

It turns out that I have five Fat Boys songs on my itunes, which indicates this is either the result of a drunken itunes store spending spree or a spur -of-the-moment Limewire search. Either way, it's good to hear again.

I don't remember exactly how I heard of the Fat Boys back in sixth grade. My family didn't have cable (thus bringing me MTV and BET), and I'm pretty sure they weren't on radio, so I suppose I just heard it here or there from friends at school.

I do specifically remember saving up to buy the cassette and sitting in Georgia Square Mall after just purchasing it at Record Bar, harldly being able to wait to get home to pop it in my "box". Seriously, how easy was it to make a record back in the day, especially the early days of rap? What a concept- three fat dudes rapping about....eating and being fat and stuff.

Brilliant!


But damn, we loved it. That was a pretty popular album back then; a whole lot of fun to listen to, spawning many beat box imitators in Patti Hilsman's boys locker room day after day. And much of that had to do with the fantastic skills of the subject of this song - The Human Beat Box.

Really, there was nothing to compare to him up to that point. The dude was amazing, and I remember having debates as to whether or not he was really making all of those beats with his mouth or if he was faking. Of course it was all legit, and the spirit of THBB lives on today through countless incarnations. In fact, one of me and the kids' favorite show, Yo Gabba Gabba, has introduced beat-boxing to a whole new generation, and if my brood is any indication, it's still just as fascinating.

Witness the Biz


Oddly enough, the song begins with the "Brrrrr - stick 'em , ha ha-ha stick 'em!" refrain from another song, but then settles in to let the man show his skills. If I'm remembering correctly, most Fat Boys songs used the beat box part of the song almost like a guitar solo in a rock song, but in this one, his voice forms the beat of the song throughout. The lyrics are sparse, but essentially all about him and his greatness, which is something I miss about old school rap - the song on every album that was the shout-out to the DJ (see Public Enemy's "Terminator X to the Edge of Panic", Run DMC's "Perfection", LL Cool J's "Go Cut Creator Go" for examples)

After (strangely) skyrocketing to mainstream success, (and what says 80's success like a Swatch commercial?)the Fat Boys lost it just as quickly.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B: (and I warn you - this is painful)


So let's pour one out for the Fat Boys, an innovative, surprisingly influential hip hop group that takes us back to the early days of rap when shit was just fun and a good ass time.

6 comments:

y'shua said...

I cannot help but make the obvious comparison to early Beastie Boys. With Rick Rubin at the helm, the Boys rapped about partying, drinking, and just having a good time. The Fat Boys shared much of the same notoriety and I think that with both--early Beastie and all Fat--we look back with a bit of amusement that yes, that shit was hot, but truly, damn near anyone could make a record back then.

Anonymous said...

1. What about the awesomeness of The Fat Boys in the film Krush Groove, which featured all the major players of 80s rap's transition into pop?

2. You know the Human Beat Box died of a heart attack. True. R.I.P.

3. I am pretty sure the lighter-skinned Fat Boy went on to lose a bunch of weight. I think I remember seeing it on some "Where Are They Now" program.

4. I always thought my cousin Trey looked a lot like a white version of the Human Beat Box.

5. I remember watching the shit out of Disorderlies as it use to come on HBO all the time when I was a kid. The only scene I can recall is when the Fat Boys hide behind some bushes and watch a bunch of girls undress then go swimming in a pool.

THE MERKIN MAN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
THE MERKIN MAN said...

1. Disorderlies is a classic in my book because it was one of the few examples of modern film brave enough to employ the "boing-boing-boing" sound effect for bouncing titties. (when Prince Markee Dee was watching a nurse on a treadmill . . . she said she would give him some ass if he lost weight)

2. Krush Groove = the shit. "All You Can Eat" is still my favorite Fat Boys joint.

3. Since you recommended it, Yo Gabba Gabba has been a staple in the Merkin house. You rock, B-Mo!

THE MERKIN MAN said...

. . . and what luck! it is right at the beginning of this clip!

enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Time to break out the cardboard mat.