Sunday, May 10, 2009

"In The Light" / Led Zeppelin / Physical Graffiti

For previous Zeppelin musings, check here. As a general rule, I don't repeat artists that appear unless they are one of my biggies. Zeppelin is, for sure.

This song is one of my favorites on Physical Graffiti , which is a double album that takes the genre-expanding possibilities hinted at in Led Zeppelin III (my personal favorite, by the way) and delivers, bigtime. From classic Zeppelin cock-rock to lengthy blues romps, roots bluegrass, and beautiful instrumental ballads, Physical Graffiti has it all.

"In The Light" was the first song on side two of the Physical Graffiti tape (date myself? Nah), and I have very specific memories of listening to this "tape" over and over at a friend's house in high school, his bedroom filled with green light from a Kroger party lightbulb, probably finishing up some marathon role-playing game. So, believe it or not, those are good, comforting memories.

This song has a very long intro, which features Page producing an eerie sound by using a violin bow on an acoustic guitar to act as the bass. It also features an instrument relatively new to the Zeppelin sound up until then - the keybord. Also new was the total turn from the blues-based formula for which Zeppelin had become famous. You can hear the Middle Eastern influence creeping into the song right from the start, a style with which Jimmy Page would become more and more fascinated with until he finally unleashed it in the astonishing No Quarter album years after Zeppelin's demise.

Nigel Tufnel - an obvious influene on Page's style
(Interesting, also, that this song follows "Kashmir" on the album, considered by some the quintessential Led Zeppelin song and itself a tune with stong lyrical and musical roots in the Middle East.)

Plant and Page come in with the first lyrics at 1:44, hauntingly harmonized and heavily reverbed. Then at 2:45, another keyboard kicks in, a monstrous descending riff backed by John Bonham's first appearance in the song. They settle into a nice groove here for a while, then suddenly at 4:11, literally halfway through, there is a thirdkeyboard break followed by Page's wonderful ascending riff at 4:25 (contrasting nicely with the earlier descending scale). Stylistically, it's a whole new song here, and, reflective of the title and lyrics, brings the listener "In the light", highlighted by a change from a minor to a major key. Do you see how they manipulated you there? Don't you love it, though? It's brilliant stuff and the kind of mature songwriting these guys never get credit for.

Then, five minutes in, we suddenly go back to Kashmir, as it were - the strange, droning sound that began the song. They lock into that bluesy groove again, then hit the descending riff immediately followed by the ascending guitar. That riff and Page tracking some solo work over it takes us home, this time leaving us "In The Light" (and if we don't get it, I've always liked the way Plant sings "Light, light, light...In the Light" at the end of the song.)

Think about it: in the five years since their debut, which was essentially heavy covers of blues standards, Zeppelin had grown as artists to produce a song and album like this. It's a phenomenal growth curve for a band in such a short amount of time, and explains why every generation for decades now has come to revere Zeppelin and claim them as their own.

Note: I couldn't find a YouTube video of the song. Apparently Led Zeppelin is very protective of their image as such. I'm sure anyone bothering to read this already has a coy of "In the Light" you could cue up, but if you don't, you can download the song below. I've also included a pretty cool alternate take of the song I did find. Obviously, my notes above are about the studio recording.

6 comments:

THE MERKIN MAN said...

A nice selection, especially for one of your "heavies" . . . much better than writing about a song everyone with which everyone is more familiar.

I would argue against the statement that their debut was nothing more than heavy versions of blues standards. I can't deny that the whole album was based in the blues (but what in the name of rock and roll is not?), but the arrangements go much further than heavy replication -- except for the two songs credited to Willie Dixson.

Good post; I'm glad you are back.

y'shua said...

Lemme tell you what I hate about Pink Floyd. Well, not Pink, but Roger Waters. It's all those quiet stretches. Have you heard the first Roger Waters solo album? The Final Cut? You sit there trying to listen to the damned thing and you think the CD's stopped, that your tape player is eating the tape, then a damned airplane crashes and Waters is mumbling something about filthy hands and a desert. Fucker.

It's those silences that mess with my appreciation of the music.

"No Quarter"
"In The Light"
intro to "Bring it on Home"
"In My Time of Dying" (which does contain the best line ever, the Jesus/wings one)
and two or three others I can't think of off the top of my head.

I love Zeppelin (and Floyd). Masterful musicians who never could quite hack it the same way after the split. Unledded and Walking into Clarksdale are good, better than most other bands, but not as good as something like Physical Graffiti.

I found Zeppelin going through my parents record collection when I was about twelve. They had IV/ZOSO alongside Cream's Disraeli Gears. I like the cover of both and the music of ZOSO. I have an LP copy of Graffiti (a reprint, to be sure) that has tiny little pictures in each of the cutout windows. I have one of In Through the Out Door that's actually in a record-sized paper bag. Cool.

I like "In the Light," but I get angry every time I listen to the quiet stuff. Bastards. I always think it's on Houses of the Holy too. Don't know why. Mabye it was an outtake from that session. Seems to fit there for me.

THE MERKIN MAN said...

Check out the version of "In My Time of Dying" on Bob Dylan's debut. Easily one of my favorite versions of that song, and perhaps one of my favorite songs.

The original original -- Blind Lemon Jefferson is damn good too.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
..


I also think the "hidden track" was cool at first, but now they are trite.

y'shua said...

So many bands were so proud of their hidden tracks in the 90s. Trent Reznor hid some around track 96 of Broken. There's a Danzig CD (#4, I believe) with hidden track #66, devilish.

My favorite, though, is Nirvana's on Nevermind. There's the last track, "On a Plain," then a large silence, then "Something In The Way." Get it?!? Something was in the way!! What will Kurt Cobain think of next?

Bryan Moore said...

Yeah, hidden tracks.

There was a Madder Rose CD I had in the early 90's (I think I covered them in an entry) that had a hidden track, but it wasn't tacked onto the end of the last one after 20 minutes or so. The CD had 99 track listings, and the hidden track was #99. So, tracks 13-98 were one second long each. Ridiculous.

Then there is Prince's "Lovesexy" CD which I never listen to because it's entirely ONE track. One 45 minute long track.

Ralph Dilliard said...

Chris Gaines has a hidden track on his Straight Jacket album called "What Douchebag Greenlit this Auditory Abortion?" It's actually quite danceable.