Sunday, August 23, 2009

"Respectable" / The Rolling Stones / Some GIrls

This is not the first time I’ve posted about the Stones, but the first time I wrote about them was waaaaaay back on post #1. Not only are they a “pantheon” band for me, which means I don’t skip them as a duplicate, but my posting has changed so much that I need to revisit them anyway.

I recently engaged in a classic “Beatles v Stones” debate on a message board, and here is what I concluded:

I love both bands, but I have to go with the Stones, with the caveat that what we know as "The Stones" ended with Tattoo You in 1980. I prefer dirt and grime over spit and polish in the end.
That string of Stones albums starting in '68: Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street are unmatched in rock history.



This song comes in right under what I consider to be “The Stones” cutoff - the Tattoo You album in 1980, which incidentally was the first time I heard of the Stones. When I was in third grade they had a few radio hits off this album, the eternal “Start Me Up", “Hang Fire”, and one of my top three Stones songs, the flawless “Waiting on a Friend”. Some Girls, the album from which this song comes, includes some radio classics like “Shattered”, “Miss You” and “Beast of Burden”, as well as some awesome album cuts like Keith Richard’s fan favorite “Before They Make Me Run” , the country goof “Far Away Eyes”, and the controversial title song in which Jagger analyzes the sexual peculiarities of various ethnicities. Classy, Mick.

After they released “Undercover of the Night”, they all but fell off the map for me (and the less said about stuff like “Harlem Shuffle”, the better). Then in my senior year of high school they came back big for me. There were a coupe of reasons for this: one was they released a critically acclaimed “return to form” Steel Wheels, and my buddy nick bought Exile on Main Street(and made me a taped copy of it, labeling it "The Bible"). Nick, Patrick, Jake and I thought we should go see them on tour that year, when they played at Grant Field in Atlanta, and I recall a very early Saturday morning being picked up in Jake’s brown Ford Tempo, heading to Turtles to get lottery tickets to buy concert seats (remember those days?)

As soon as I got in the car, Jake pushed in the Exile tape and with the opening bars of “Rocks Off”, I knew there was more to this band than I heard growing up, and I was eager to investigate. This followed my foray into the aforementioned quaternity of Stones albums which still hold up strongly today. Beggar’s Banquet remains my favorite, with the Dylan-esque deep cut “Jigsaw Puzzle” also in my top three songs (the third? Exile’s “Torn and Frayed”. Thanks for asking!)

“Respectable” is a bare-bones, bluesy, barroom rave-up. Nothing fancy, just plowing ahead with that nasty guitar sound and other classic Stones tropes like Keith Richard’s high harmonies, Jagger’s lyrics about wooing a sassy young lady, and a classic 1-4-5 chord progression. It sounds like a song they made up on the spot and tossed off in one take in the studio to fill out an album, but in some ways it represents what the Stones are all about.

It appears that those days for the Stones are long gone, but every now an then they have a song that brings back the old magic – like “Mixed Emotions” from Steel Wheels , or even “Streets of Love” from their latest, Bigger Bang. They are obviously never going to have another run like they did from ’67 to ’82, but considering that that might represent the apotheosis of what we call “Rock & Roll”, there’s really no shame in that.

Click here for the official video
, as embedding is not allowed. It’s cool to see Mick strapped with a guitar, and to take a look at the guys when they were much younger and less geriatric.

6 comments:

y'shua said...

My parents went to a show during the Steel Wheels tour. Apparently, you're not the only ship on this ocean, not the only one with mixed emotions.

For me, comparing the Beatles to the Stones is like comparing James Dean to Marlon Brando. One died young and saved us from suffering the torment of watching the cruel hand of age pick and prod the rotting corpse. Don't get me wrong, both Brando ('til his more recent demise) and the Stones did some great later work--I'm a fan of Steel Wheels mostly because I heard my parents playing it so much and that made them just a bit cooler than the lamers I thought them to be. They both did some great later work, but my god . . . do Mick and crew still have fluid blood in their veins? Or is it powder like that cool villain in Hellboy? Bet it is.

My favorite Stones album is also one of their most underrated. Black and Blue. But the older chick who hipped me to it when I was 13 or 14 was hot, Hot, HOT! Leanne M., Thank you. Memory Motel indeed.

B. Mo said...

J- the more I was thinking about this Beatles / Stones thing, I determined that the Beatles are definitely more consistent, but the best of the Stones kicks the best of the Beatles' ass (again, just my opinion).

I am gaining a new appreciation all the while for your family - your sister introducing you to Mr Bungle and Suede, and your cool Stones fan parents. I'm still trying to figure out if they used up the allotment of cool points in your family, or something like that.

Nice call on Black and Blue too. I've heard great things, but don't have that one. I bet it's pretty good, considering it bridges the Exile and Tattoo albums. How about burning your boy a copy?

y'shua said...

Will do.

They left me a few cool points. I've introduce my kid to Iron Maiden, Rush, and The Black Keys.

On the radio, he can identify AC/DC and their various clones instantly.

Ralph Dilliard said...

I had to take some time to figure out my thoughts on the Stones. For a few years I went on a boycott of them on the radio as in my mind they had become a Stones Tribute Band that was pumping out new albums. Sort of like Gallagher's brother out there looking the part and smashing watermelon's but something was a little off. I completely agree that Tattoo You was the capstone of their significance. I blame Jagger. I'd like to encourage listening to Keith Richards' solo work on "Talk Is Cheap" as exhibit "A" in the who's keepin' it real squabble. The entire album sounds as though it came from the Exile/SomeGirls era Stones. Plus it was produced at the height of the Richards-Jagger feud and it takes a lot of digs at the latter.

As for the Beatles.....Meh.

Ralph Dilliard said...

The aforementioned exhibit "A"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLl7qheBDDg&feature=related

B. Mo said...

D- You are correct that Keith is where the Stones get the dank - literal and figurative. Jagger is too much of a pretty boy.

And here's exhibit B, for what it's worth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4B2lJgeuFc