Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"LDN" / Lilly Allen / Alright, Still

I'd heard of Lilly Allen though her (at the time) unique, 00's style success story, blowing up through her MySpace page which led to a record contract. When my buddy (and unlikely indie music guru) Mike came down for a visit a couple of years ago, he brought his hard drive and I, er, "borrowed" a bunch of his music, including this.

It's not without it's charm. Hard to resist a cute, outspoken British chick with an attitude and mean streak to boot. All in all, I think she was a little bit overrated, as the music media became obsessed with her as a person and a story and left the music as a secondary concern. Nothing more than simple pop tunes, easily digested and quickly forgotten.

This song takes a really simple conceit, that things aren't at first what they appear to be, and stretches it out for, oh, a couple of verses. It seems she became bored with the idea and then just decided to finish the song halfway through by repeating it's refrain ("When you look with your eyes / Everything seems Nice / But if you look twice / You can see it's all lies") and chorus ("The sun is in the sky / Oh why of why would I want to be anywhere else?") until three minutes are up. And let's face it...she's not exactly Shakespearean (or Peartean) as a lyricist. Though it's adorable to her the words "crack whore" in a baby doll cockney accent.

This song was also included on a special mixtape I made when my daughter was born in which all of the songs had "London" in the title. Can anyone guess some of the others?

7 comments:

y'shua said...

She's pretty. But then again, when I look twice at her, I see a sadness. At first all I notice is her cheery, upbeat personality, but then I looked again and see that she is a bit mean.

I mean I like the music. It's catchy. But when I listen a second time . . . it's not as good. More like a fish hook type of catchy. Painful.

Seriously, though. I understand the name thing. I buy O Henry candy bars and Stacy pita chips. Own several books written by or about Joshua. I like years too. 1967, 1973, 1974, 1978, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2001.

THE MERKIN MAN said...

"London Calling" the Clash
"London" the Smiths ( a favorite)
"London Bridge" Traditional
"London" The Pet Shop Boys

or others on this list.

B. Mo said...

Merk, of course "London Calling" was on there, what with it being one of the most badassed songs evah.

I began with "Panic" by the Smiths, which opens with the line "Panic on the Streets of London / Panic on the Streets of Birmingham". Is that the one you're thinking of, or do they have a song titled "London"?

And that wiki would have saved me some trouble a couple years ago. Nice find.

Josh - I see what you did there.

Mike said...

This song is not one of the better ones on the album. Its kinda boring.
She has pretty nice tits as well.

B. Mo said...

I've got to admit, part of the her appeal is playing the constant "Would I or wouldn't I" game with her.

Not often that I find a chick who fluctuates that wildly

Ralph Dilliard said...

I liked her better when she was in Garbage.

The EEJ said...

She probably does anal.