Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"I Don't Care (So There)" / The Donnas / Spend the Night

OK, I'm calling bullshit on The Donnas.

They suck. I downloaded this CD off of the great press they were getting circa 2002, and I'm still trying to decide if the whole thing is a big goof in a "We really stink and I dare you to call us out on it", or if they are really, earnestly trying and just are that bad.

Yeah, I get that they're girls in a rock band(!), and I get all the Joan Jett and Runaways allusions, the cleverness of everyone in the band being a "Donna" (like the Ramones), but novelty can only take you so far. Think about it, if they were a bunch of dudes, would they have even gotten a sniff at a record contract?

Bland riffs, poor singing, boring songs, trite lyrics,a sameness to every tune on the CD; like I said, just not that good. The only part I really do like is literally a few seconds in the chorus of "Take it Off", the little two-note pop at :59.

Not much to say about the song here, as I've already mentioned all I need to up top. If there's something you think I'm missing in them, let me know.

1 comment:

Ralph Dilliard said...

Record companies are a lot like cereal makers. If one company happens to figure out some new way to combine sugar, wheat, and corn then the others are sure to follow suit with their own and most times less severe version. Eventually you know the genre is dead when store brand versions emerge. The Donna's are the Great Value version of the geek-rock genre popularized by Weezer and the like. They are the equivalent of metal's Vixen, grunge's L7, and rap's Li'l Kim.

Most of these bands are dreadful.