Tuesday, March 2, 2010

"Mahgeeta" / My Morning Jacket / It Still Moves

Despite having one of the stupider band names in music history (and despite their Furthur / jam band / hippie following), My Morning Jacket has quickly become one of my very favorite bands of the 'oughts.

At their best, their songs are just hypnotic, entrancing and lovely, with singer Jim James' soft voice lulling you into contemplation. Let it be known that thy can bust out a rock tune as well, but thats not my favorite mode of theirs. As in the song here, they often have a classic 1950's era rock sound, but adapt it for a modern audience. The beginning melody of "Mahgeeta" sounds as if it could have been from a Bill Haley and the Comets track back in the day, but they add enough contemporary styling to make it fresh. This produces a comforting mix of something new sounding but innately familiar as well.

It's a hard conept for me to explain, so, if you wish, read this essay by WIlliam Bowers from The DeCapo Best Music Writing 1994 compilation (start on page 34). I had heard of MMJ before reading this, but just in album reviews in music magazines (which always referenced their similarity to Neil Young). It was after this article that I decided to seek them out.

I started with Z, their fourth album and still my favorite., then moved to this one (It Still Moves), and then finished off by, um, "borrowing" a couple more from a somewhat loyal blog reader. I love having the whole catalogue of these guys, and putting their tunes on a long playlist while grading essays or just lounging around reading. Hell, they say it best themselves in the first lyrics of this song:

Sittin here with me and mine.
All wrapped up in a bottle of wine


For a real treat, if you're not familiar with them. start with Okonokos, a double live album recorded at the Filmore in San Francisco.

Wordless Chorus, one of my MMJ favorites


As with many of their tunes, one secret to "Mahgeeta"s sound is reverb - lots of it. The echoing, looping vocals and impeccable harmonies have everything to do with the mood these guys create. The song is deceptively simple, with a steady, staccato groove underneath, but the vocals really make it pop.

At 4:30, the vocals drop out, and you can hear how MMJ gets the Bonaroo-crowd following - they up the tempo and finish with a bang of a coda, complete with a flourish on the final chord. You can imagine this song would be drawn out and rocked pretty hard live, can't you?

2 comments:

y'shua said...

Now, I've listened to Evil Urges (most of it, at least) and it's okay. I've also seen the movie The Jacket with that guy from Roman Polanski's The Pianist. If I had to choose between the two, I think I like Polanski's Ninth Gate better. More nudity, and Frank Langella is dreamy.

First, what's up with the BeeGee's voice? Maybe a little early Michael Jackson in there too?

Second, stupid name? Yes. But who am I, a Blue Oyster Cult, Queens of the Stone Age and Jackson Browne fan, to talk?

Third, catchy, quirky music? I'll buy that. Right up there with Band of Horses (much better name, fuckers).

Wait. I hear something else. Another voice. It's the way he says "awwl" when he's trying to say "all." Damn. That's going to drive me crazy. Modest Mouse? Midlake?

Oop. I hear the 50s now. Got it. It's like a male version of the chick in The Duke Spirit. That's the one.

y'shua said...
This comment has been removed by the author.