Tuesday, November 6, 2007

"Overkill" / Colin Hay

No album for this one. You remember Men at Work? Early 80's Australian pop band? "Who can it be knockin' at my door", vegemite sammiches and whatnot?

Colin Hay was their lead singer and, I'm guessing, their chief songwriter. This is an acoustic version of one of Men at Work's songs, and I think it's pretty cool, myself.

As with any song, when you perform it solo / acoustically, it tends to somehow carry more gravitas, no matter what the song (see Poison's Unplugged version of "I Want Action" if you don't believe me). Same thing here. What was an innocuous little pop tune sounds somber and thoughtful. And I love the part at about 2:15 when he goes back to the opening verse, but sings it in a higher register. Almost gives you a little chill, and that's something I never, ever thought I'd say about anything associated with Men At Work.

It's worth your while to grab this one for your library, if you ax me.
http://www.mediafire.com/?fkx3pytblej

5 comments:

Ralph Dilliard said...

What few realize is that the Men at Work song is a weak cover of a much more interesting arrangement released in 1979 by a British power trio.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overkill_(song)

Anonymous said...

Very funny, d-rail. However, much as I doubt that d-rail is your real name, I must contest your claim. Two different songs. Two awesome bands. One better than the other, though.

I suppose you could have written your post in a sarcastic tone, though. Which would mean that I am a jackass.

In turn, I could have written my post in a saracstic tone, as well.

I guess that's what sucks about blogs, emails, and text messages. Without hand and facial gestures and the altering pitch and tone of one's voice, it is very difficult to convey deeper emotions or meaning. I suppose that's why those damned emoticons were invented.

Personally, I hate emoticons. I associate them with middle school girls and my mother.

Great post, d-rail. Keep up the hilarious inside jokes.


"Your bones will build my palaces. Your eyes will stud my crown
For I am Mars, the God of War, and I will cut you down."

Bryan Moore said...

No, d-rail is pretty much a snide jackass. OMG! LOL! :)
And being called out for being ironic in a post is very ironic if "king of emptiness" is who I think he is

EJ said...

Sarcasm really does need its own font.

THE MERKIN MAN said...

Very nice. Now I need to find the acoustic versions of Poison. Please tell me they have versions of "Love on the Rocks", "Look but don't Touch", and "Cry Tough".

Do you remember Pop-up Video? They had one with "Land Down Under", and once you understand all the Aussie slang, the song is much more amusing. I am going to youtube it now.