Sunday, May 11, 2008

"Cherub Rock" / Smashing Pumpkins / Siamese Dream

OK, I'm not really sure why this song is on my itunes library. I don't really fancy the Pumpkins at all, and I consider them to be one of the most horribly overrated bands ever with one of the most egomanical, annoying singers ever. I must say I fall in with Steven Malkmus of Pavement, who once famously sang in "Range Life"? (3:39 in): Out on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins / Nature kids, they don't have no function / I don't understand just what they mean and I could really give a fuck."

All that aside though, I must admit I really like their song "Drown" ever since I heard it way back on the "Singles" soundtrack. I just can't do much more than that. Part of that is Corgan's voice (which probably sounds strange coming from a Geddy Lee fan), and part of it is the whining. Like in this song : "Let me out!" Oh boo-fucking hoo. You got famous and now you are disillusioned with fame. What a novel concept. Stop releasing CDs then! And whatever you do, don't give us more shit like Zwan. "Despite all my rage / I am still just a rat in a cage". Are you shitting me? That type of crap lyric belongs on the lit notebook of some tortured high school sophomore.

Having said all that, the first :39 seconds of this song absolutely rock. Maybe that's the whole reason this song is on here to begin with. The only other Pumpkins song on my playlist is "Christmastime" from "A Very Special Christmas", which isn't too bad. And I guess you could say the music he wrote, um, excuse me "produced" for Hole's Celebrity Skin CD was pretty good too. BUT OTHER THAN THAT...shut up, Billy Corgan.

5 comments:

THE MERKIN MAN said...

I am with you on the Pumpkins. I liked Gish and Siamese Dream, but my image of them was trashed when I saw them live for the first time. Bloodyfuckingawful. You may want to check out Zeitgeist -- I was surprised by how much I liked it.

I do like Cherub Rock, though. Maybe my favorite Pumpkins song.

Do you remember listening to Cherub Rock when we were cruising Rome searching for Hot Sex?

Anonymous said...

I know two different girls with Smashing Pumpkins tattoos. One of them also has an INXS tattoo... no joke.

y'shua said...

Overrated. Yes. That's a good way to put it. I try to listen to them from time to time, but to little avail.

I like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Got it for Christmas one year.

B. Mo said...

Merk, I do remember cruzin' around Rome for Hot Sex, but I don't remember Cherub Rock, rather large doses of "Abbey Road" and Pearl Jam. Good times, either way.

Lime - what would an INXS tatoo look like? I can't imagine anything that's not...boring

THE MERKIN MAN said...

I think an "INXS Tattoo" is street slang for rope burns about the neck.