Sunday, May 18, 2008

"Feel" / Big Star / #1 Record

What a curious band Big Star was. Led by pop mastermind Alex Chilton (immortalized in The Replacements song of the same name)and named after the old grocery store chain (there was one in East Athens when I moved here long, long ago), they really were never popular during their inital run.

Somewhere along the way, however, they were rediscovered and enjoyed a completely out of the blue Renaissance in which they became to be regared as one of the godfathers of alternative music. It happened gradually in the late 80's and 90's, beginning with the aforementioned Replacements song. When Pavement first came out in 1991, they really played up their debt to Big Star. Then there was the pre-Nirvana alternative band Teenage Fanclub who titled one of their CDs "13" after a Big Star song. Shit, there was even a Bangles cover of one of their songs, too. This rebirth culminated in Big Star reforming and playing a pretty famous show at the University of Missouri (?) in 1993. You may also know Big Star as the original composers of the theme song to "That 70's Show".


My own exposure to them was gradual. Back in 1993 there was a great, great Athens band called Magnapop who I would catch live whenever I could. They put out a CD which included a cover of Big Star's "13", (which I didn't know at the time). Then, there was the Engine room influence. Many of you (er, both of you?) remember The Engine Room, one of the classic Athens bars of my college years. This was THE bar for me and my crew. I went there on opening night and spent many, many years after that drinking $3 PBR pitchers there and shooting pool with hot Asian design majors. Anyway, they played Big Star's "#1 Record" over and over. The awsome song "Way Out West" just ineascapibly got stuck in my head, so one night when it was being played again I finally asked the bartender who it was. Then it all made sense...oh, that's Big Star. I went out and bought this CD, and loved it.

This song is the first on the CD, and it has a nice, quiet picked guitar intro before exploding into the verse. The first time I heard Chilton's voice on this song, it sounded harsh, honestly, but then it settles down by time the lush chorus kicks in. I love the harmonizing "Ahhhhh"s in the background of the chorus, too. The best part, though, happens at 1:25. After the guitar solo, they suddenly go into this extended, revved up instrumental jam with horns blaring a whole new riff, a saxophone solo, and I swear to God I hear some harmonica in there. Then right at 1:50 it smacks right back into the chorus, and it's awesome.

It's kind of a cliche to say a band was ahead of it's time, but I really think that's the case here. "#1 Record" sounds like it could have been released in 2007 on Matador records, and I'll bet no one would think twice about it. Good stuff.

Sorry I couldn't find a clip of this song on YouTube, so you'll have to click the link to get the MP3. It's worth it, though. Instead, I leave you with my favorite tune on that CD, "The Ballad of El Gordo"


And here is the link for "Feel"
http://www.mediafire.com/?3zdjfztm4gx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I got into Big Star via Golden Smog. The Wilco/Soul Asylum/Jayhawks collaboration often included Jody Stephens. It is clear that those bands owed a shit-ton to Big Star, especially Wilco's A.M.

2.I agree, B. Mo. I don't know if entire albums would, but I do believe some of their songs could be successful today. They are a timeless band. They were a band that I never could really place in a particular era. Since they seemed like such a part of the whole Uncle Tupelo/alt-country scene, I always thought of them as arriving much later (the early 90s) than they did.

3. Badfinger.

4. Pop. The mid-90s is when I was introduced to the Athens music and recreational scene. That is also when I first heard people talking about pop music in a good way. It seemed like it was cool to describe a band as playing pop music. Big Star was one of those pop bands.

5. KISS. AC/DC. Am I right? In the rockin' songs?

Ralph Dilliard said...

What if there were a band named after "Bell's" supermarket. That would be the worst cacophony of hideous racket ever. I'd rather go deaf due to having hot irons placed deep in my ear canal than have to listen to that. Then again, their first album could be titled, "Allum, Come to the Front Please, Allum".