Monday, February 9, 2009

"Shining Star" / Earth, WInd & Fire / Let's Groove

Man, remember when R & B used to be about real stuff, positive, serious, stuff, and not just about doin' the booty?

I'm talking about uplifting, socially conscious stuff like Marvin Gaye, my man Curtis Mayfield, or even Pubic Enemy (Admittedly I'm stretching the defintion of R&B). Not modern R & B like "My Neck, My Back". Maybe that's a good thing, as you could argue that maybe the social status of folks has risen as such that it doesn't need to be a part of music anymore. I sure miss it, though.

I really don't remember the heyday of E, W & F, but like much 70's music, it has over time seeped into my consciousness. "Shining Star" was released in 1975, when I was three, but it's probably their most famous song and has been used over and over again for soundtracks, commericals, and soundtracks, unfortunately to the point that it's almost lost any effect it once had. Although, who can forget Elaine Bennis' dance to it in "Seinfeld"?


And don't you remember Stryper covering it back in the day? One of the all-time classic WTF? moments.


Listening to it again, it's a lot shorter than I recall - not even three minutes. The part of the song that I remember most as a kid is the last few seconds, the "Shining star for you to see / What your life can truly be" that fades the song out and ends in a cappella. I thought that that was the chorus, but it only appears at the very very end. I love so may parts of this song, though. The groovy little guitar lick at the beginning, the Earth, Wind and Fire patented horn fills, the falsetto chorus, the rhythm guitar in the verses, it's all good stuff (and I always like the voice Philip Bailey uses in "Make your body big and strong at 1:27 too). And, as mentioned, I do like the message of the song. Confident, uplifting, positive, and fun. This is one that has gone in mixes I've made for the kids.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Prince actually has been harping on music missing the uplifting socially relevant component for the past few albums. His new CDs aren't all bad and you get all 3 for 12 dollars at target I hear.
Just don't be dumb and join lotusflow3r.com like someone you know in Philadelphia.