Tuesday, October 2, 2007

"If" / The Darling Buds / Erotica

Wow, time to go pretty deep. I'd be surprised if any of you ever heard this group (and I say that not in a "hipper than thou" context, I just mean they were a tiny, tiny flash in the pan).

The Darling Buds was a group that had a couple of popular 99X songs in the early 90's in the heady, post-Nirvana alternative goldrush. You may remember a song called "Long Day in the Universe" - that was them. Their sound could fall into that "shoegazer" genre with bands like Lush, Curve and My Bloody Valentine.

The thing is, I really like this CD. It's not something I can sit and listen to regularly, but if a song randomly pops up on the 'ol ipod shuffle or here on the computer, I still enjoy it. The band's sound is pretty soothing, with dense layers of tracks throughout the songs. They also have a chick singer (which I'm a sucker for) and lots of great hooks.

This song is a good example of the band's sound. The beginning reminds me of "Gigantic" by the Pixies with the bass and vocal, then moves pretty quickly into the standard sound of the band. I like how the bass line that's introduced by itself at the beginning carries throughout the song and how the other tracks tail off at the end, leaving just the bass again. It's worth a listen, I reckon.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8zrjchjkxmx

1 comment:

THE MERKIN MAN said...

Remember when Letters to Cleo's video was featured during the credits after Melrose Place? Of course you do. Of course that was all post-Jo. God damn she was fine, and don't go giving me any of that Sydney shit. She was a nasty skank next to Jo. mmmmm, Jo. They always showed her in her panties too. At least I can still watch Gross Anatomy or Spaceballs to get my Daphnie Zuniga fix.

Anyhoo that is where this song brought me -- Hill Hall, Athens Georgia watching Melrose.

Hey, remember Belly?