Saturday, August 11, 2007

"Don't Come Round Here No More" / Tom Petty / Tom Petty's Greatest Hits

Let me start off by clarifying that some songs may actually be my wife's or something my brother downloaded (if it's cheesy modern country or terrible Dutty Souf rap. Love ya, bro!). And I say that not to dismiss Tom Petty, 'cause Tom Petty's OK with me...but I'm just sayin'.

I guess like many of you I can't listen to this song without thinking of the freaky Alice in Wonderland video (LINK: http://youtube.com/watch?v=b5H0wUo37RY) . As a song, though, it has some good moments. The shouted "HEY!" throughout the song is kind of cool, and I've always liked songs that have "acts", as it were, and I'm thinking here of the shift in the song towards the end when it throws the mandolin out the window and goes into that fast, chugging guitar riff to finish up.

Overall, as I said, I like Petty OK - a good Southern boy even though he's a Gator from Gainesville, Florida. Eric and Jeff loved them some Petty back in the day, and I used to argue with them in my advocacy of John Mellencamp (I've always thought of those two as populist rockers cut from the same cloth - kind of like a hick version of the "Stones or Beatles?" argument).

If I had my druthers, though, I'd prefer to hear "The Waiting" (his best song and a bonafide classic), "Don't Do Me Like That" or "Stop Draggin My Heat Around".

1 comment:

Mike said...

This song is awesome. Also John Cougar is not even 1/10 as talented as Petty. And I even like Cougar.
The video is maybe the greatest ever closely following Hurt by Johnny Cash which actually brought tears to my eyes (I was high at the time), based on that scene where they eat her while she watches. Genius.

Mike