Friday, August 3, 2007

"Factory Girl" / The Rolling Stones / Beggar's Banquet

You can have your "Exile on Main Street" - for my money, the best Stones album is "Beggar's Banquet". Unfortunately, this is my least favorite song on the album, but then again, it's only 2:12 long.

I really like the strummed intro and there's some nice percussion to set the scene, but Mick's voice grates. It seems like it's a character voice (the same as he does in "Dear Doctor" earlier in the album), but I can't really figure out what character that might be. Any guesses as to what a "Factory Girl" is, anyway?

I must say though,

"Waitin' for a girl and she gets me into fights
Waitin' for a girl we get drunk on Friday nights"

Is a great couplet. In fact, it reminds me of my wife. Ha.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Andy Warhol's Factory...Edie Sedgwick for example...

Mike said...

Did you know some of the songs you gave me off your itunes won't play on my computer? I get some weird message about how I need a password.

Also I'm sure it is you who gets yourself into fights as you were voted "most likely to get everyone into a fight" by everyone. Getting all drunk and yelling at Florida fans or yankees or not even drunk and yelling at people behind us at the movie theatre. Those are just two examples, there are others. Even Darrell isn't as bad because at least he does things so ridiculously rude to people you can just tell yourself you're not going to defend him for doing that. With you, I'd actually have to jump in there.

I've never heard that song, but you should listen to the song "supermassive blackhole" by muse its good.

Can we curse on this blog? I felt like I couldn't curse on the blog about your kids.

B. Mo said...

Mike, those days are over. In fact, for all my former bluster, I've rarely, if ever, come to blows.

And Florida fans deserve anything and everything they get.

"SBH" is actually my cell phone ring. I love Muse and that new record especially.

And, curse away, if you must. Won't hurt my feelings.

Oh - 10 points for Stephen for the "Factory Girl" reference. Well done, sir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_Girl

EJ said...

I disagree about him being worse than Darrell -- Bryan may talk a lot of shit but he's ever poured a 32oz drink on a pack of angry skate punks.