Thursday, August 9, 2007

"Johnny, Kick a Hole in the Sky" / Red Hot Chilli Peppers / Mother's Milk

File this one under other "Native Americans done wrong" songs along with Anthrax's "Indians", Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills", The Doors' "Wild Child", and most of The Cult's music from the 90's when Ian Astbury (like Jim Morrison) inexplicably decided he was really Indian all along.

Now that I think about it, one of the RHCP's first singles was "True Men Don't Kill Coyotes" and I believe Anthony Keidis has a Thunderbird tattoo across his back, so I guess they've always enjoyed that vibe.

I like the way this song starts, with the snippet of "The Star Spangled Banner", then dips into some classic wa-wa funk guitar of John Fuschiante (he was their guitarist then, right?) and of course, Flea's ridiculous bass. He really has some great parts in this song, especially that descending run down the fret right before the chorus.

All in all this is my favorite RHCP album. Reminds me (again) of my senior year in high school. I saw the video for "Knock Me Down" on 120 Minutes or something and loved it, so I had to get that album. On this album itslef, though, this is one of my least favorites.

3 comments:

THE MERKIN MAN said...

This used to be one of my favorites, but I think I wore it out on a mix tape I made c. 1993.

I'll take 'Stone Cold Bush' over this one any day.

Ralph Dilliard said...

I liked RHCP better before Anthony Keidis died and was replaced by Brian Johnson.

EJ said...

I prefer their work in Point Break.