Thursday, August 30, 2007

"All the Way to Reno" / REM / Reveal

Oh, man, I have some things to get off my chest.

Let me begin by saying that to those of us that grew up in Athens, there is no band that means more to many of us than REM. Even before they hit the big time, beginning in the late 1980's but really taking off in 1991, REM was the soundtrack for Athens youth. We literally grew up with them, album to album. There's almost no music as important to me and my "musical developement", if you'll allow, than those classic REM albums like "Lifes Rich Pagent", "Murmur" and "Reckoning". They were always ours, and we were proud to have them, and when the time came we were tickled to share them with the world.

Then Bill Berry quit and "Up" happened. Now God forgive me...REM kinda sucks. And that absolutely breaks my heart.

Sure, there's been the occasional interesting single, like "Daysleeper", "At My Most Beautiful", "Imitation of Life", even this song's OK. But most REM albums (and I've bought them all - I'm nothing if not a loyal fan) are plodding, mid-tempo, hookless drudgery.

I'm of the opinion that they should have ended with the underrated "New Adventures in Hi-Fi". That album, and especially the closing song, "Electrolyte" would have made a great coda to their career. Now it's like watching Evander Holyfield trying to make comeback after comeback. You feel bad for them; you just want to pat them on the shoulder and say, "You know what? You had a great run. But it's over. Don't embarrass yourself or tarnish your legacy. Go out with some dignity".

Supposedly they are back in the studio, and there's always that hope that they can rekindle the magic...but I don't think I can be a party to it anymore.

At least the video is charming

3 comments:

THE MERKIN MAN said...

REM is one of those bands you are supposed to like. Sorry, guys; I just never got into them -- too poppy, jangly, sing-songy, Hallmark birthday card for my tastes.

Okay. I liked Green when it came out, but that just proves that I like the wrong REM stuff, when they sold out.

I do have a favorite REM record, though. It is the one nobody else seems to appreciate. Monster is the shit because it does not sound like an REM record.

I lost my virginity to an REM song, but I won't say which one. It wasn't on Monster, though.

I will never, ever be as hip as you. There. You made me say it. Think about that while you work on a Friday.

Anonymous said...

1. I have a feeling that the students at that high school were all wondering, "Who the hell are these old dudes?" Honestly, I thought the same thing when I first saw the RUN-DMC "Walk this Way" video with Aerosmith. I thought, "These Aerosmith guys are a little too old to be putting out their debut song."

2. I always thought Green was their best album. Or Document. Maybe Life's Rich Pageant. Green was one of the only tapes that I literally wore out. (Pussy?)

3. I went through an REM spell, as well. During high school, they were one of my OCD bands-- I went and bought all of their back catalog and a super cool REM shirt from some department store. I remember my informal geometry teacher taking up my Walk-Man while I was listening to Automatic for the People. I had just bought it. I tried to argue with her because she had graduated from UGA. "They're an Athens band!" The bitch didn't give it back until the end of the week. I gave up on REM after Monster, which was a good album.

4. I lost my virginity to a Palace song.

5. I read an article in which Michael Stipe said that he is fully aware that he no longer writes the best songs. He said that Bono told him that they are songwriters, and that is what they are supposed to do, even if they are past their prime. (No this isn't a joke)

Ralph Dilliard said...

When it comes to ambiguous weirdo status I'm still of the opinion that Michael Stipe can't hold Morrissey's jock. Like most things, by the time REM was big it was pretty much over. I mean really....Everybody Hurts? Even rock stars with wealth beyond their wildest dreams? I'll start believing that in between fixing this constantly running toilet and finishing up the weeding out in the yard. Driver 8 is pretty good I guess.