Friday, August 24, 2007

"Mad Mrs. Leroy Brown" / Loretta Lynn / Van Lear Rose

What a treat this CD was. I've always had lots of respect for the classic country artists of the 60's and 70's, and it was awesome to have Jack White give Loretta Lynn the same treatment Ruck Rubin gave to Johnny Cash.

This CD actually sounds a lot like a White Stripes album to me, which makes perfectly good sense. It seems Loretta had fun doing the record, and on this song especially. Noting quite says country music like a good old "revenge on a cheatin' man" song - especially one that involves a pink limo and Mrs. Lynn promising "I'm gonna grab her by her phony ponytail / I'm gonna sling her around and around"

At the the end of the song, you can hear some playful banter between her and Jack which is really...cute, for lack of a better term. Let's only hope that the rumors about a relationship between the two while recording this were only rumors. On second thought, that kind of kicks ass.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Kind of like the relationship your Mom and I had "kicked ass?" Actually I meant "relations."

I find it funny that a woman who knowingly married a man who's given, Christian name was Dolittle would be surprised and angry if he cheated on her...she kind of had it coming...

Anonymous said...

It is interesting how many Lynn songs deal with her retaliating against loose women (almost always physically) but don't really mention her taking any real action against her man. See: "Women of the World, Leave My World Alone", "You Ain't Woman Enough to Take My Man", and "Fist City", in which she also threatens to throw a woman around by her hair. I suppose she is taking his money, but even in that she is perpetuating man as provider and woman as subservient housewife.

It is similar to Cash, whose work is even more lauded by progressive hipsters, singing about America and God (albeit both a little skeptically at times).

THE MERKIN MAN said...

Kicks as much baggy old ass as fucking a 70-year-old can.


Yeeeehaw.

B. Mo said...

For what it's worth, Stephen has free reign to continute to make "your Mom" references to me.

It's one of the first things he asked when I told him she was sick.